Olympic speed skating medallist Jessica Gregg retires

Speed skater Jessica Gregg, who helped Canada to a silver medal in the women's short track 3,000-metre relay at the Vancouver Games, announced her retirement from competition Thursday.

Gregg, 27, represented Canada at two Olympic Games as a member of the relay pool. She helped the 3,000m team to its silver medal in 2010 and travelled to Sochi in 2014 as an alternate.

"One of the highlights of my career was competing at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and standing on the podium with my teammates in front of friends and family," said Gregg in a press release.

After competing at the Sochi Games, the Edmonton native switched to long track skating, though the bulk of her career was spent competing in short track.

"I have had an incredible time competing and travelling all over the world for speed skating, so the decision to retire was not an easy one to make," said Gregg. "I enjoyed racing long track for the last two seasons, however I feel that it is the right time to pursue other interests. I am ready for the next chapter of my life. I can look back feeling very proud of my accomplishments and grateful for the opportunities that I have had through the sport of speed skating."

Beyond the Olympics, Gregg also helped the relay team to three silvers and a bronze at world championships and won an individual bronze in the 500 metres at the 2009 world championships. During her career she amassed 21 World Cup medals.

Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

My blog is the place to update the latest information on sports, science and technology ... If you found this article good, useful please the share for others to see, even if you want to design a ecommerce website or web edit or set a special plugin functionality, please contact us now (Information in the footer)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét