Canada's Alex Harvey barely misses gold in World Cup opener

Canadian cross-country skier Alex Harvey came in only 11.2 seconds behind the defending overall champion to claim silver at the season-opening World Cup event in Kuusamo, Finland.

The 27-year-old, of Saint Ferreol les Neiges, Que., clocked the second-place time of 21 minutes 16.7 seconds in the 10-kilometre race.

Harvey made history last season by becoming the first Canadian to win two world championship medals in the same year with a silver and bronze. The two-time Olympian's goal this season is to capture the overall World Cup title. 

"It feels great. This is my first World Cup podium before Christmas so it is a big step for me," Harvey said.  

"My target this year is to win the overall title. I didn't necessarily believe that I could do that in the past, but I do believe I have a shot at that title this year. I didn't have a good result yesterday but I knew my fitness was good and I was confident heading into today."

Norway's Martin Johnsrud Sundby finished in 21:5.5 at the Ruka Ski Centre to beat Harvey. Dario Cologna was third in 21:17.1.

It was also a solid outing for Harvey's World Cup comrade, Devon Kershaw of Sudbury, Ont. The three-time Olympian was strong all day while placing 24th at 21:50.2.

​They will compete in the final stage of the three-day event in a 15-kilometre pursuit race on Sunday. 

Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

My blog is the place to update the latest information on sports, science and technology ... If you found this article good, useful please the share for others to see, even if you want to design a ecommerce website or web edit or set a special plugin functionality, please contact us now (Information in the footer)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét