Emirates passenger claims she was humiliated by staff over possession of diazepam

  • Karen Young said she is a nervous flyer and was prescribed diazepam
  • Young claims Emirates staff at Birmingham Airport reduced her to tears
  • She said staff told her she would be jailed if she was caught with the drug
  • Young claims she was humiliated because others heard the conversation

A nervous flyer claims she was left humiliated after an Emirates employee told her she could be sent to prison if she was caught in the United Arab Emirates with a drug that eases her anxiety.

Karen Young, from Tamworth, Staffordshire, said she was reduced to tears because her condition was revealed to other travellers during the encounter at a check-in desk before a recent flight to Dubai.

Young, a 40-year-old mother of three, said she informed airline staff at Birmingham Airport that she was carrying diazepam tablets with a prescription and they warned her she would be ‘locked up’ for being in possession of the drug.

Karen Young, 40, said she was left humiliated after an encounter with Emirates staff at Birmingham Airport

Karen Young, 40, said she was left humiliated after an encounter with Emirates staff at Birmingham Airport

Young claimed she was reduced to tears and suffered a panic attack
Despite carrying a prescription, the mother of three was told she could be jailed if she was caught with diazepam in the United Arab Emirates

Young claimed she was reduced to tears and suffered a panic attack when she was told she could be jailed

Young said she was prescribed diazepam for flight purposes and was carrying the original prescription

Young said she was prescribed diazepam for flight purposes and was carrying the original prescription

The UAE’s strict drug laws state that possession of medication containing codeine or similar narcotic-like ingredients could result in a mandatory four-year prison sentence, although tourists are allowed to bring their medicine into the country as long as they are carrying a prescription.

Young, who has a fear of flying, said she was prescribed diazepam by her GP for flight purposes and was carrying the original prescription.

Still, she claimed, she was berated and embarrassed in front of other passengers as staff repeatedly told her that diazepam is a banned substance in the UAE and she was at risk of being sent to prison if it was discovered by authorities in Dubai.

Young, who is seeking compensation, said the distress caused her to suffer an anxiety attack before the flight last February, causing her to develop a rash on her chest and neck which remained until she reached Sydney, her final destination.

Young, who is seeking compensation, said the panic attack left her with a rash on her chest and neck

Young, who is seeking compensation, said the panic attack left her with a rash on her chest and neck

Young, who was flying solo, said: ‘I am a nervous flyer so my doctor prescribes me with diazepam every time I fly.

‘I was only informing the staff member that I had to take it for my anxiety and she proceeded to berate me, loudly, telling me I could go to prison for four years for possessing it.

‘After I assured her I had been prescribed it for flight reasons, she continued to embarrass me, shouting across the desk at another member of staff, saying diazepam isn't allowed in Dubai, is it, you can go to prison can't you?

‘I was mortified to have my medical history broadcast in front of other passengers. It certainly didn't help my nerves and telling me I'd be banged up in jail wasn't a good start to my holiday.’

Young claimed a senior staff member was unhelpful when she complained.

She added: ‘I was crying my eyes out, having a panic attack and was still being treated appallingly.

‘As someone with a crippling anxiety, with a 20-hour trip ahead of me, I wasn't expecting to be told I could face prison for doing nothing wrong.

‘If anything I had followed guidelines, by bringing necessary paperwork with me to support my medication. It was so stressful.’

Young said 'I wasn't expecting to be told I could face prison for doing nothing wrong'
She claimed the encounter occurred before she flew to Sydney

Young said she suffers a crippling fear of flying and a doctor prescribed diazepam before her flight to Sydney

She claimed a supervisor eventually apologised to her and offered an upgrade on the connecting flight to Sydney from Dubai if space was available. The upgrade did not transpire.

Young claimed she was sat next to an 18-year-old woman who drank copious amounts of alcohol on the seven-hour flight to Dubai and vomited into a cup.

She said she has since received an apology from Emirates’ customer services team.

She added: ‘Being told I'd be banged up abroad is absurd and completely insensitive to say the least. Where are the caring, helpful and professional staff members who are trained to be considerate towards passengers who suffer from anxiety?

‘For a reputable airline I was shocked to be treated in such an ill-mannered way. I will definitely not be flying with them again.’

A spokesperson for Emirates said: ‘At Emirates we take pride in providing our passengers with the very best customer service and travel advice and were sorry to hear about Miss Young's complaint.

‘The UAE has a very strict, zero-tolerance anti-drugs policy, with some drugs and medications that may be purchased over-the-counter in other countries classified as controlled substances and illegal to possess.

‘As such, our staff deemed it important to notify Miss Young of these country-specific regulations prior to departure.

‘We are sorry that the assistance and advice provided to Miss Young did not meet her expectations on this occasion and will ensure her feedback is taken on board.’

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

My blog is the place to update the latest information on sports, science and technology ... If you found this article good, useful please the share for others to see, even if you want to design a ecommerce website or web edit or set a special plugin functionality, please contact us now (Information in the footer)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét